It’s time for another SHRMChat!
For newbies, SHRMChat is a monthly Twitter chat where we discuss issues affecting state and local affiliates of SHRM. There are different issues every month, and I preview and recap every month on my blog.
This month, SHRMChat will be discussing conferences. Many of us attended the recent Annual SHRM Conference & Exposition (SHRM12), where more than 13,000 people gathered to drink in all things HR. I belong to two different local SHRM affiliates, and both have hosted, or are preparing to host, one day conferences. And most state affiliates offer a conference.
So let’s chat about what needs to be done to make an HR conference a success. To help us with this discussion, we will be joined by 3 special guests:
Mike VanDervort – @MikeVanDervort – Mike is the social program strategist for HR FLorida, one of the largest state councils and conferences in the country. He also recently attended SHRM12 as an official blogger, and decided that SHRM has a formula for success through social media. Read about it here.
Here are the specific questions we will ask during the chat. The first question will be asked at 8:10 and each successive question will post on the 10’s.
- Q1. Excluding content, what are the 3 most important ingredients for a successful conference?
- Q2. Can there be a successful HR conference without social media? Why or why not?
- Q3. Name the top 3 social media practices a conference should use.
- Q4. Are HRCI credits a must for a successful conference? If not, how do you attract attendees?
- Q5. What are the 2 or 3 most important attributes of a successful conference director?