I am going to go out on a limb and say that any SHRM-affiliated chapter that is not actively trying to increase paid membership is in the acute minority. I don’t have any statistics to back that up, obviously, but every rational bone in my body says it is so.
But wanting more members doesn’t make it so – chapters need to learn the best ways to attract and retain them.
And that’s where SHRMChat can try to help. This month’s chat will discuss ways to help chapters increase membership numbers in general. The questions we will discuss are:
- Does your chapter or council have a position or committee dedicated to retaining and increasing membership? What are the duties and/or goals?
- Many chapters discuss “benefits of membership”? What does your chapter consider a benefit?
- What are the top three tools a chapter can use to increase membership?
- Are the tools or methods for increasing membership different than those used for retaining members? How so?
- Have you found social networking to be effective in membership activities? Which tools or platforms?
As always, we also welcome comments or discussions around the general topic, even if not specifically addressed in a question.
Join the discussion on Twitter by following the hashtag #SHRMChat on Tuesday, October 9th at 8 pm EST/7pm CST.